Friday, April 23, 2010

Carousel

And the seasons they go 'round and 'round
And the painted ponies go up and down
We're captive on the carousel of time
We can't return we can only look behind
From where we came
And go round and round and round
In the circle game
-Joni Mitchell


Remember the good old days? When people left comments on my blog posts? Anyway, in honor of the good old days, here's a comic about the future: "A World Without Surprises".






"A World Without Surprises" (c) 2010, Christina Spallone


More of my ramblings under the cut.

As I was writing the script for this comic (I write out a script first -- just the dialogue. It's very helpful), I noticed the common themes between this storyline and that of a couple Twilight Zone episodes, notably the one where the young girl doesn't want to get a transformation to look like all the other girls, the one where the gambler goes to hell and keeps winning, and the one where a bandaged lady is told that she's ugly and is later revealed to be a woman with movie-star looks in a world of monstrous beasts with a different standard of beauty.

I think I would have come up with this storyline even if I hadn't been a Twilight Zone fan, but who knows. And if I am ripping off the Twilight Zone, I mean, who hasn't? It's awesome, and at least I gave the themes a refresher for the new millenium +10.

I remember reading an R.L Stein Goosebumps book, Say Cheese...And Die! I believe was the title... It basically ripped off an entire episode about a camera that took pictures of horrible things that would happen in the future. Or was it an episode of Are You Afraid of the Dark? that did this? Or both?

After a while, dystophile.
Share

6 comments:

  1. Look -- comments!!! ;P
    I actually really like this comment because it's eerily and sadly ringing true. :{ Let's pray it never ends up this extreme!!
    Kudos,
    BECCA

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Becca! I can always count on you. I think a lot of people would be content in a future like this, but to me it's very sad...

    ReplyDelete
  3. We used to sing "Circle Game" all the time at the Young Friends Gatherings I attended. But, actually, those seasons weren't all that great. Being older is way better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know if I agree, Steven...sometimes I wish I could just be riding on a carosel instead of at work, lol. Seriously, though...all this time I thought it was "And go round and round and round in circles, again," lol!! :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, I remember it from Young Friends as well, and Camp Ockanickon. But we also can't return to the simpler lifestyle we grew up in... I think the grunge period is the last unique, shared cultural movement we had as a country. My life as a 9 year old back then wasn't the greatest, but the shortened attention spans and instant gratification enabled by cell phones, YouTube and other Internet phenomena makes adult life less than idyllic as well. Looks like that stuff is here to stay!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This future may not be very far off. As long as it's better for the environment, all other considerations are justified (by their supporters). We already have people advocating for "Lookism" laws, too. Be watching (or listening) for the new iSeeds at an Apple store nearest you.

    ReplyDelete