Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Three Cool Cats

So this weekend I did something different for once. I dressed up like a "hipster" to be an extra in my friend Karl's brother's senior film, Creative Types. From what I've seen of the film so far, I assume it's a comic burlesque satirizing today's awful, devolving culture and what is trendy with college students. The antagonist is the author of a comic called Newt York, one of those slick, no-detail, probably made for the web four-panel witty (but lame) gag comics popular with the college crowd. The strip drawn for the movie is a pretty clever parody of such comics; I was impressed. The protagonist is a serious, tortured writer ignored by these Newt York worshipers. I haven't read the script, but I'm looking forward to the finished product -- seems consonant with some of the themes I've explored in recent years.

Anticipating downtime, I came to the shoot prepared with a Moleskine notebook to draw in (it doubled as a prop for my character). Other extras were dressed as hipsters, too, of course.

In college, I went to a few events with my fellow art students. Having nothing better to do at these parties, I sometimes sat and did nothing but draw people. So, this post includes drawings of REAL art students, as well as drawings of actors dressed up as stereotypical "creative types."

CAN YOU TELL THE DIFFERENCE?


No comments:

Post a Comment